We are planning for the future!
Calvert County, with the help of consulting firm Sabra & Associates, is working to update the Calvert County Transportation Plan adopted in 1997. The plan is being developed in conjunction with the update of the Calvert County Comprehensive Plan.
The Transportation Plan will set a vision to integrate multimodal transportation planning with land use, historic preservation, open space and community facilities.
On Aug. 14, 2019, the Department of Planning & Zoning held the second and final public workshop on the Calvert County Transportation Plan update. Jamie Kendrick, AICP, with Sabra & Associates, the county’s consultant for this project, presented the 2040 Traffic Analysis & Transportation Plan Overview. The consultant gave an overview from the previous workshop on existing conditions.
With the feedback collected from the last workshop and further data collection and analysis, the presentation focused on countywide road network performance, comparing 2017 conditions with future conditions in 2040. Three growth scenarios were analyzed based on objective criteria. Included were an overview of the draft plan including goals, strategic policies and potential investments. You can view the slide presentation here (PDF) and watch a recording of the Aug. 14 workshop here.
The draft plan will be posted on the county’s website the week of Aug. 19 for public review and comment. A revised plan will be presented to the Calvert County Planning Commission for review at a work session during a special meeting Thursday, Sept. 26, at 7 p.m. at the Calvert Pines Senior Center.
Transportation Plan Schedule
- Public participation workshop #1, April 2, 2019 – This workshop identified transportation challenges. To see the slide show click here (PDF). Citizens expressed the need to know how the proposed Comprehensive Plan would impact transportation. Planning & Zoning staff and Sabra & Associates added build-out scenarios to the scope of work. As a result, workshops 2 and 3 were combined into one workshop.
- Progress update to the Planning Commission
- Draft Transportation Plan prepared for public review
- Public participation workshop #2, Aug. 14, 2019 - 2040 Traffic Analysis & Transportation Plan Overview. View the slide presentation here (PDF) or watch a recording.
- Draft plan to be posted on the county's website the week of Aug. 19
- Public comment due on draft by Sept. 6, 2019
- Preparation of third draft plan for Planning Commission review
- Planning Commission work session with consultant - Sept. 26, 2019
- Fourth draft, Planning Commission's recommended plan
- 60-day review by agencies
- Planning Commission public hearing
- Board of County Commissioners work session
- Board of County Commissioners public hearing
- BOCC takes action on plan
The following major elements are to be addressed in the plan:
- Continue to focus on highway improvement priorities in coordination with the state
- Improve countywide traffic issues
- Continue to support town center development
- Emphasize multimodal transportation
- Embrace smart technology
The updated plan will address livability, safety and mobility for residents and enhance Calvert County as a vibrant place to live and visit. Stay tuned for updates!