Calvert County Prepares for Census 2020
The United States is required to perform a national count of all people living in each state every ten years (U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Section 2).
The Census 2020 Data Impacts Our Community in the following Ways:
- Determines representation in Congress and impacts local legislative districts;
- Is the basis for funding critical programs and services;
- Assists local decision-making for economic development, school construction and transportation projects, as well as public health, public safety and emergency planning
Federal Funds potentially lost for each person is $1,800 per person each year for 10 years!
The U.S. Census Bureau can not conduct the 2020 Census alone. Success of the Census depends on community involvement at every level.
What is the 2020 Census Complete Count Committee:
- Volunteer committees established by tribal, state, or local governments and/or community leaders or organizations to increase awareness and motivate residents to respond to the Census2020.
- Serve as state and local "census ambassador" groups that play an integral part in ensuring a complete and accurate count of the community.
Location: Harriet E. Brown Community Center
901 Dares Beach Road, Prince Frederick, MD
When: Wednesday, October 16, 2019
Time: 10:00 - 12:00
Executive Order (PDF)
Office on Aging to Host 2020 Census Presentations at Calvert County Senior Centers
Mr. Lee Osberry Jr. from the Census Bureau will be giving a presentation on the 2020 Census and to answer any questions Calvert County's older residents may have about the upcoming census.
The presentation will be given at each of the three senior centers on the following dates and times:
- Calvert Pines Senior Center (450 W. Dates Beach Road, Prince Frederick)
Tuesday, October 1, 2019, at 10:00 AM
- Southern Pines Senior Center (20 Appeal Lane, Lusby)
Friday, November 1, 2019 at 11:00 AM
- North Beach Senior Center (9010 Chesapeake Avenue, North Beach)
Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 11:00 AM
Link to newsflash: http://www.calvertcountymd.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1465
Census 2020 Timeline for Residents
March 12-20 Residents receive an invitation to respond online. Some households will receive paper questionnaire.
March 16-24 Residents receive a reminder letter.
March 26-April 3 Residents receive a reminder postcard if they have not responded.
April 1 Census Day
April 8-16 A reminder letter and paper questionnaire mailed to residents.
April 20-27 Final reminder postcard mailed to residents.