Items Accepted at All Locations
The following items can be recycled at all customer convenience center sites and the Appeal Landfill:
- Cans- All food and beverage cans (steel, tin, and aluminum) and aerosol cans can be recycled. Rinse them out and flatten if you can. Labels and lids may be left on. Recycle with commingled containers (plastic bottles/food containers, glass bottles/jars).
- Glass - Clear, brown, or green bottles, jugs and jars. Labels and lids may be left on. Please rinse out the container. We can't accept plate glass, mirrors, dishes, pottery, ceramics, door panes, windshields or other types of glass (i.e. Pyrex). Recycle with commingled containers (plastic bottles/food containers, metal cans).
- Motor Oil, Oil Filters, and Antifreeze - If you do your own oil changes, chances are that you have a used oil filter so when you bring your oil to the recycling center, bring along the filter too. Filters should be drained and recycled in the marked container at all sites. Diesel fuel and kerosene may be placed in the used motor oil container. Gasoline and gasoline/oil mix is not accepted. Please bring gas and gas/oil mixes to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events.
- Paper - All whole and shredded paper, newspaper, magazines, junk mail, catalogs, school and mixed paper, cereal and food boxes (please remove the inner plastic liner), paperback and hard cover books, milk/juice cartons, juice boxes and corrugated cardboard. No paper plates, napkins or tissues.
- Plastic bottles, jars, tubs - Bottles, jars, and food containers with numbers 1 through 5 and number 7 are accepted for commingled recycling. Number 6 plastics are not recyclable by Calvert County (this includes Styrofoam®). Please rinse out and flatten to save space. Please do not mix with other kinds of plastic products. Please remove from plastic bags.
- Textiles / Clothes - Any old clothing, with or without holes, buttons or zippers can be recycled. Good clothing is sorted out for resale while tattered and old textiles are used for rags and other products. Don't forget sheets, curtains, blankets, socks, shoes, belts, cloth table cloths, cloth napkins, shower curtains, towels or just about anything that's a fabric. Be sure that the items are clean and dry and bundled in plastic bags. If you're unsure, please ask an attendant. Textiles are also accepted at collection containers at: Calvert Pines Senior Center, Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center, Harriet Brown Community Center, Southern Community Center, Dunkirk District Park, Hallowing Point Park, Cove Point Park, Fairview Branch Library and Southern Branch Library.
- Cooking Oil - All cooking oil should be placed in used cooking oil containers. Please MARK the container as used cooking oil and place in designated areas
- Other Recyclables - Inkjet and laser cartridges from printers and fax machines. Cell phones can be recycled at all sites. Rechargeable batteries from tools and toys along with car, boat, and motorcycle batteries can be recycled. Single-use alkaline batteries are not accepted for recycling.
- Electronics - Computers, monitors, printers, keyboards, mice, copiers, VCRs, DVD players, televisions, two-way radios and other electronics are recyclable.
- Fluorescent and Incandescent Lights - All forms of fluorescent lights along with incandescent light bulbs and security light bulbs.
- Metal - Lawnmowers, tractors, dryers, washers, stoves, dishwashers, metal cabinets, desks, chairs, grills or any item that is at least 80% metal. Please put all metal into the boxes provided at the Convenience Centers. Drain fuel or oil and remove batteries or propane gas bottles before recycling. Please remove any attached battery in a metal product before placing it in the metal recycling box. Please see an attendant about the battery.
Items Accepted at Some Locations
The following items can be recycled at some customer convenience drop-off sites and the Appeal Landfill. Please confirm the materials accepted at each site before attempting to drop off materials.
- Plastic - Rigid - All plastic with numbers 1 through 5 and number 7 such as packaging, plastic toys, dolls, plastic wrap, buckets, pans or pails. Please remove from plastic bags. Rigid plastic recycling is available at the Appeal Convenience Center and Barstow Convenience Center.
Items Accepted at Appeal Landfill Only
- Refrigerant Appliances - Refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and dehumidifiers. Appliances with Freon or other refrigerant chemical are accepted for proper draining and recycling at Appeal Landfill only. Please take precautions to not damage the Freon lines during transport or drop-off. There is a $10.00 fee per appliance.
- Thermostats and Thermometers - These contain mercury and should be handled with care.
- Propane tanks larger than one pound are charged $5.00 per tank. One pound propane tanks can be recycled at any convenience center for no charge.
- Gas cylinders, such as fire extinguishers, oxygen, carbon dioxide, acetylene, etc., are charged $8.00 per cylinder. Helium tanks are accepted at any convenience center for no charge.
Vegetation and Yard Debris - All leaves, brush, bushes, tree stumps and branches. Current tip fee applies.
Items Accepted at Scheduled Dates & Locations
- Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) - This program is available to residents only; no commercial haulers/businesses or institutions. Commercial businesses must make other arrangements for disposal. County residents may drop off their HHW at the Appeal Landfill and Mt. Hope Community Center on scheduled collection days only for free. These products usually have the words "danger," "poison," or "warning" on the labels and should be kept out of the regular garbage. For a detailed list of HHW items and more, please see the HHW page.