Parks and Recreation Advisory Board (Park Board)
The Parks & Recreation Advisory Board, formerly known as the Board of Parks & Recreation or the "Park Board"
In 2018, the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board (PRAB) resolution 33-18 (PDF) was adopted by the Board of County Commissioners of Calvert County (BOCC.) The Calvert County Board of Parks & Recreation was originally created in 1974 with resolution 30-74 (PDF), by the BOCC.
To assist the BOCC and the Department of Parks & Recreation (P&R) to achieve the goals of establishing services which meet community needs through public input ~ Calvert County is committed to enhancing the quality of life of its citizens and visitors through the Parks & Recreation system.
- Advise the P&R and the BOCC on the planning and implementation of the Parks & Recreation section of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Advise on the "Recreation, Parks, and Open Space" and "Natural Resource Land Conservation" aspects of the Land Preservation, Parks and Recreation Plan.
- Make recommendations on programs, services, acquisition and uses of parkland, sports and recreation facilities as well as such other duties as may be assigned
- Interact with members of the community to hear and transmit comments, concerns, and requests regarding P&R services.
- Consult together with P&R and the BOCC concerning all aspects relating to the establishment of P&R services.
- Review P&R's annual budget proposal and make recommendations to the BOCC when appropriate.
- Review policies or proposals generated by the P&R prior to submission to the BOCC.
- Review and recommend BOPR applicants for appointment by the BOCC.
- Perform duties or responsibilities as assigned by the BOCC related to P&R.
There are nine members: three from each voting district; each serving a term of three years; appointed by the BOCC. Appointees are required to complete a financial disclosure statement each year.
There are also three ex-officio members: a representative from the Board of County Commissioners, Calvert Nature Society, and the Board of Education.
- 5:30 pm
- Second Wednesday of each month (no meetings July and August)
- Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center
130 Auto Drive
Prince Frederick, MD
The Board of Parks & Recreation complies with the Open Meeting Act by publishing their agendas and minutes.
Parks & Recreation Advisory Board Annual Update Report (PDF) for 2018
For meeting information and inquiries contact Nola Formy-Duval, 410-535-1600, extension 2234.