Veterans Affairs Commission
The Veteran Affairs Commission serves in an advisory capacity to the Board of County Commissioners on programs, polices, and initiatives affecting the veterans of Calvert County.
- Board of County Commissioners shall appoint nine (9) voting members, each of whom has separated from the military service under honorable conditions. Of the nine (9) members:
- One (1) member shall be an owner or operator of a local business;
- One (1) member shall be an educator or educational administrator;
- Three (3) members shall be at-large; and
- Four (4) members shall be members of the American Legions within Calvert County, with one (1) member from each of the following Legions:
- American Legion Post 206;
- American Legion Post 220;
- American Legion Post 274; and
- American Legion Post 85.
- The Board of County Commissioners shall designate the following non-voting members, who will be considered ex officio:
- The Director of Stateside Military Operations of University of Maryland Global Campus, or their designee;
- The Veterans Affair Coordinator of College of Southern Maryland, or their designee; and
- A member of the Board of County Commissioners, or their designee
Members shall be appointed for 3-year terms and no Commission member shall be eligible to serve more than three (3) consecutive full terms.
- Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month at 5 p.m. in the Community Resources Building, 30 Duke Street, Prince Frederick, MD, Extension Service Conference Room. Agendas and Minutes are available here.
- Michael Wood, Chair, District 3 Representative
- Jeffrey King, Vice-Chair, Local Business Owner
- Matthew Blackwelder, District 1 Representative
- Patricia McCoy, American Legion Post 206 Representative
- Wilson Parran, American Legion Post 220 Representative
- Michael Richardson, American Legion Post 274 Representative
- Robert Sprecher, American Legion Post 85 Representative
- Michael Sweeney, District 2 Representative
- Dr. Brandon Temple, Educator Representative
- Melanie Woodson, BOCC Representative
- Lorraine Joyner, 410-535-1600, ext. 8803.