Real Estate Taxes
This office maintains all tax accounts for real property including billing, processing additions, abatements, transfers, tax liens, and conducting the annual Calvert County Tax Sale.
Due Dates and Regulations
- All address corrections and changes to your residency status should be made to the local SDAT office at 443-550-6840, or 866-629-9882, option Number 5.
- If your property taxes are put in escrow by your mortgage company, please forward your tax bill to them for payment. Check your annual escrow analysis statement to verify your taxes have been paid by your mortgage company or access your tax account online. You should have your tax id number available when accessing your tax account online.
- New construction tax bills are sent out annually for the construction of a new house or a significant improvement to an existing house. New construction tax bills are for the period January 1 through June 30.
- Owners of properties designated as a principal residence are eligible to pay their taxes in two installments. The first payment is due by September 30 of each tax year, and the second installment (including the applicable service charge) is due by December 31 of each tax year.
- The tax year begins July 1st of each year and ends June 30th of the following year. If you do not receive a tax bill by August 31st, please contact our office immediately so we can provide you with a duplicate tax bill.
Our office accepts partial payments for real estate taxes, as long as your property is not currently in tax sale. Learn more about how to pay your real property taxes.
Tax Assessment Information
The State Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT) determines the taxable assessment of your real property. Reassessments are conducted by the SDAT every three years. It is important that you verify any assessment notices received from the SDAT for accuracy. Assessments may be appealed within 45 days of notice of the new assessment. For more information, call the local SDAT office at 443-550-6840 or 866-629-9882, option Number 5, or review the assessment appeal procedures on the SDAT website. You may also obtain your current assessed value on their website as well.
Tax Credit Programs
A Homeowner’s Tax Credit (HTC) program is available to primary residence homeowners of all ages who qualify on the basis of gross household income. If your gross household income is less than $60,000, you should review the Homeowners Tax Credit eligibility. If you meet the HTC criteria, you can download the HTC-60 form on the SDAT website. Once you complete the form, you will need to forward the required documentation, along with the signed application, to the state for processing. Their address is Maryland State Assessments and Taxation, 301 W Preston Street, 9th Floor, Room 900, Baltimore, Maryland 21201. To inquire as to the status of your application, you can contact their office at 800-944-7403. If you are granted a Homeowner’s Tax Credit, you will receive a revised bill from our office.
There are also other disabled exemption credits available based on certain requirements. For further information, please contact the Maryland State Assessment Office at 443-550-6840 or 866-629-9882, option 5.
BRF Financial Hardship Exemption Program
The Bay Restoration Fund (BRF) Financial Hardship Exemption Program grants a waiver (exemption) from paying the Bay Restoration Fee to certain “residential” dwellings that demonstrate substantial financial hardship. The applicant must be a resident of Calvert County and a homeowner or lease holder of record along with meeting two of the following conditions: (1) receives energy assistance subsidy, (2) receives public assistance; supplemental security income (SSI) or food stamps, (3) receives veterans or social security disability benefits and/or (4) meets the income criteria, please review the BRF Financial Hardship Exemption eligibility. The exemption would be for a specified time period of 1-year and the exemption would have to be applied for annually. If you meet the above criteria, you can download the Residential Application. Once you complete the form, you will need to forward the required documentation, along with the signed application, to the county for processing. Our address is Calvert County Government, Attn: County Treasurer, 175 Main Street, Prince Frederick, MD 20678. To inquire as to the status of your application, you can contact our office at 410-535-1600 ext. 2277.