Board of Appeals (BOA)
Participation in March 25, 2021 Zoom Hearing
This hearing will include case 19-4005 (Lorenzini for Ward on behalf of Southern MD Investment, LLC) beginning at 9:00 am, as well as various administrative items. To participate, call 833-548-0282 toll free and enter meeting ID 860-9204-0238. If prompted for a participant ID or password, press #.
Application packages and documentation submitted by the public can be found in the Document Center.
All meetings will be held via Zoom until further notice.
|January 7, 2021||November 20, 2020|
|February 4, 2021||December 23, 2020|
|March 4, 2021||January 22, 2021|
|April 1, 2021||February 19, 2021|
|May 6, 2021||March 25, 2021|
|June 3, 2021||April 22, 2021|
|July 1, 2021||May 20, 2021|
|August 5, 2021||June 24, 2021|
|September 2, 2021||July 22, 2021|
|October 7, 2021||August 26, 2021|
|November 4, 2021||September 23, 2021|
|December 2, 2021||October 14, 2021|
Submitting Comment on a Case
How can I submit comment on a case in progress?
The public is welcome to submit comment on a case in progress. You can comment in two ways:
- Submit written comment before the hearing. You may send your comment by mail (Board of Appeals, 150 Main Street, Prince Frederick MD 20678) or by email to the Board’s Clerk.
- Participate in the hearing live. Board of Appeals hearings are currently held via Zoom due to COVID-19. You may participate in a Zoom hearing by calling toll-free from any phone, and you’ll be given the opportunity to testify and to cross-examine the applicant at the hearing. To find out the phone number to participate in the hearing, check our agendas page, where the agenda will be posted about 3 weeks before the hearing, or keep an eye on our homepage. If you'd like to participate by video, please email the Board’s Clerk.
How will my comments be used?
Written comments will become part of the public record. Your personal contact information, such as email address and phone number, will be redacted; your name and town of residence will be included. The comments will be distributed to the Board for their consideration and to the applicant so they may have the opportunity to address your comments. At the hearing, mention of your correspondence will be included in the evidence list, and it might be read aloud. A mention of your comments will also be included in the final decision for the case.
Live testimony also becomes part of the public record. The hearing's audio and video recordings, as well as transcripts, are available to the public. Your name and a summary of what you said will also be included in the final decision for the case.
Appointed by the Board of County Commissioners, the Board of Appeals is a five-member board that reviews applications for variances, special exceptions and expansion or replacement of non-conforming uses. It has the authority to:
- Hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is an error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative officer in the enforcement of ordinances adopted under Section 4-305 of the Land use Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
- Hear and decide special exceptions to the terms of the Zoning Ordinance.
- Grant variances from the terms of the Zoning Ordinance.
Each case is presented before the Board at a scheduled public hearing; applicants are notified of the date of their public hearing when the application is filed.
Cases are heard by five Board members and their legal counsel.
Additional meetings are scheduled as necessary.
Board of Appeals public hearings are held at 9:00 a.m. and/or 1:00 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month.
175 Main St., Prince Frederick, 2nd floor of the Circuit Courthouse. Parking is located to the rear of the Circuit Courthouse, at the County Services Plaza, and elsewhere on Main Street.
Some meetings may be held over Zoom for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Agendas and Minutes
Open Meeting Statement
The Calvert County Board of Appeals complies with the Open Meetings Act.
|Susan D. Hance-Wells, Chair||2||04/30/2022|
|Daniel O. Baker, Jr., Vice Chair||2||09/30/2022|
|John R. Ward, Member||3||09/30/2021|
|Christopher Moore, Member||2||11/30/2023|
|Robert Carpenter, Member||3||11/30/2023|
|Marcia P. Claggett, Alternate Member||3||07/31/2022|
|Thomas H. Ireland, Alternate Member||2||09/30/2022|
|Lisa Smith Sanders, Esq., Board Counsel|