March 17, 2020 6:21 PM
Animal Shelter CLOSED to Public, Volunteers
The Linda L. Kelley Animal Shelter will close to the public and volunteers as a precautionary measure effective at close of business March 17, until further notice, with the following adjustments:
• Intake through the shelter will only occur through the Animal Control Division.
• Owner reclamations and rescue transport will be conducted by appointment only.
• Drop-off donations will not be accepted. Monetary donations can be mailed to the shelter at 5055 Hallowing Point Road, Prince Frederick MD 20678.
• The volunteer program is temporarily suspended.
• Adoption inquiries can be made by phone or email.
• Animal traps will not be serviced at this time unless the animal was involved in a bite/scratch or had contact with a rabies vector animal.
• Citizens who find stray animals are encouraged to make a report on the lost and found page of the shelter website, and post notices about the animals on lost and found animal, social media pages. If citizens are unable to safely hold the animal, an animal control officer will still respond for pick up. The caller should be prepared to meet the officer outside with the animal.
• Animal Control officers will be responding to the following limited calls for service:
o Aggressive animals at large/aggressive animal impoundments
o Bite reports for situations that are in progress
o Stray animals that cannot be kept safely until locating the owner
o Investigations of animal abuse/neglect
o Pick-up for specimens to be rabies tested
o Trapping animals that are involved in bite/rabies exposure
o Assisting partner agencies with animals
Shelter staff will remain onsite to care for animals and to sanitize and disinfect the facility. For questions, please contact the shelter during normal business hours at 410-535-7387 or AnimalShelter@calvertcountymd.gov.