This is a program to promote accessibility related improvements to the homes of seniors. These types of home improvements can offer many older persons the key to remaining in their home and maintaining their independence.
This program is a partnership of the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development with the Maryland Department of Aging.
Locally, the Calvert County Office on Aging and the Housing Authority of Calvert will be working with Calvert residents to enable them to make their homes more accessible through this project.
Improvements may include, but are not limited to, installation of grab bars and railings, widening of doorways, installation of ramps, accessible showers, and lever handles. Additions to accommodate first floor bathrooms and laundry rooms will be considered on a case by case basis.
The program provides 0 percent interest, deferred loans for a term of 30 years. Loans must be repaid upon sale, transfer, or refinance of the property. All closing costs will be included in the loan.
- Be Maryland residents with a least one resident age 55 or older
- Own and occupy the home to be renovated as their principal residence
- Reside in a home that is structurally sound and free of health and safety hazards
- Not have any outstanding federal or state tax liens, open bankruptcy, or foreclosure
- Meet income requirements: $57,960 maximum annual income for a one-person household and $66,240 maximum annual income for a two-person household.
Seniors living with relatives will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Call the Calvert County Office on Aging at 410-535-4606 or 301-855-1170.