Police Accountability Board
Through the Maryland Police Accountability Act of 2021 – Police Discipline and Law Enforcement Programs and Procedures, which was enacted by the Maryland General Assembly on April 10, 2021, the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) is required to establish a Police Accountability Board (PAB) and an Administrative Charging Committee (ACC).
Calvert County Government will seek public input on the creation of a Calvert County PAB. Calvert County Government is focused on attaining a balanced representation of diverse backgrounds and experiences to execute those powers and duties.
- May 2021: Process begins.
- Memorandum (May 13, 2021): Police Discipline and Law Enforcement Programs and Procedures (PDF)
- Presentation (May 25, 2021): Local Requirements to Implement the Maryland Police Accountability Act of 2021 - Police Discipline and Law Enforcement Programs and Procedures (PDF)
- August 2021: Staff will conduct public outreach and begin accepting public comments on the draft resolution.
- Watch the Oct. 12, 2021, Town Hall Meeting on YouTube.
- Fall 2021: Advertise for membership and determine PAB FY23 budget.
- Winter 2022: Appoint membership.
- Winter 2022: Conduct first PAB meeting.
Public Comment and Input - First Round
Comments for the first draft closed on Oct. 17, 2021. Comments will reopen once a revised draft is published. The comments received were documented and are viewable at the following links:
Public Comment and Input - Second Round
Comments for the second draft closed on Dec. 15, 2021. Citizens are encouraged to review the revised draft resolution (November 2021) and additional information below.
View a Presentation providing an overview of the Police Accountability Board, Administrative Charging Committee, and highlights of the changes from the First Round Draft.
View the Second Round DRAFT Police Accountability Board Resolution - Second Round(PDF):
Public Comment and Input - Public Hearing
The Board of County Commissioners of Calvert County will hold a Public Hearing on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022 at 7 p.m. at the Harriet Elizabeth Brown Community Center, 901 Dares Beach Rd., Prince Frederick, Maryland. The Public Hearing time, date, and location may be revised by announcement of an emergency, such as inclement weather, without further publication and may be confirmed on the County website, or calling any number listed below on the date of the Hearing. At the Hearing, the Board will consider and receive comments on a draft Resolution to establish a Calvert County Police Accountability Board and Calvert County Administrative Charging Committee as required by State law.
Written comments will be made part of the record if received by close of business the day before the public hearing. This meeting will be streamed live on the County website. If you wish to listen or speak via telephone, please call:
- U.S toll free: 888-475-4499 or 877-853-5257;
- Meeting ID: 899 4188 8251;
- Passcode (if asked): #;
- Request to Speak: *9.
If you wish to participate by Zoom on a computer, tablet, or smart phone, the link is: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89941888251.