History of the Police Accountability Board
Police Accountability Board Process
- May 2021: Process began.
- Memorandum (May 13, 2021): Police Discipline and Law Enforcement Programs and Procedures (PDF)
- Presentation (May 25, 2021): Local Requirements to Implement the Maryland Police Accountability Act of 2021 - Police Discipline and Law Enforcement Programs and Procedures (PDF)
- August 2021: Staff conducted public outreach and began accepting public comments on the draft resolution.
- February 2022: Adopted final resolution. Management of the PAB and ACC implementation moved to the Department of Human Resources.
- March 2022: Advertised for membership and determined PAB FY23 budget. BOCC approved two Human Resources staff positions to provide support to the PAB and ACC.
- April 2022: Staff reviewed applications for minimum qualifications. Citizen review committee was formed to evaluate applications and provide recommendations to the BOCC, comprised of one representative each from the Calvert County Fraternal Order of Police, Calvert County NAACP, Calvert County Republican Central Committee and Calvert County Democratic Central Committee.
- May 2022: Citizen review committee evaluated and rated applications.
- June 2022: BOCC received applications with citizen review committee recommendations in early June.
- BOCC approved FY23 budget.
- BOCC voted to appoint PAB members.
- July 1, 2022: State of Maryland deadline for implementation.
- Summer 2022: Conduct first PAB meeting.
Public Comment and Input
Public Comment and Input - First Round
Comments for the first draft closed on Oct. 17, 2021. The comments received were documented and are viewable at the links below.
Public Comment and Input - Second Round
Comments for the second draft closed on Dec. 15, 2021. Citizens are encouraged to review the revised draft resolution (November 2021) and additional information below.
View a presentation providing an overview of the Police Accountability Board, Administrative Charging Committee, and highlights of the changes from the First Round Draft.
View the Second Round (November 2021) DRAFT Police Accountability Board Resolution - Second Round (PDF):
Public Comment and Input - Public Hearing
The Board of County Commissioners of Calvert County held a Public Hearing on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022 at 7 p.m. at the Harriet Elizabeth Brown Community Center, 901 Dares Beach Rd., Prince Frederick, Maryland. At the Hearing, the Board considered and received comments on a draft Resolution to establish a Calvert County Police Accountability Board and Calvert County Administrative Charging Committee as required by state law.