CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
The County offer two medical plans through CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield; an Open Access HMO and a PPO style plan called the Advantage plan. Coverage is available for 4 levels of coverage: Individual, Employee and Spouse, Employee and Child, and Family coverage. Neither of the available plans require a referral to be seen by a specialist.
- A network of almost 40,000 CareFirst BlueChoice providers (Primary Care Providers, nurse practitioners, specialists, hospitals, pharmacies, urgent care centers, convenience care clinics and diagnostic centers) in Maryland, Washington D.C. and Northern Virginia.
- $0 cost for comprehensive preventive health care visits.
- The Away from Home Care program allows you to take your plan benefits with you if you’re out of the area for at least 90 days.
- Coverage for emergency or urgent care if you are outside CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield’s service area (Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia).
- Limited Vision coverage - $10 copay for routine eye exams and discounts on eyeglasses and contact lenses offered through Davis Vision
BlueChoice HMO Open Access
The HMO plan provides in network coverage. HMO members must select a PCP. Your primary care provider provides routine care and coordinates specialty care. This plan also allows you to visit specialists directly—no referrals needed.
BlueChoice Advantage offers in - and out-of-network coverage to help control your out-of-pocket costs and there’s no referral to see a specialist.
As a CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield or CareFirst BlueChoice, Inc. (CareFirst) member, you’ll have access to:
- A nationwide network of more than 69,000 participating pharmacies.
- Nearly 5,000 covered drugs.
- Mail Service Pharmacy, a convenient and fast option to refill your prescriptions through home delivery.
- Coordinated medical and pharmacy programs to help improve your overall health and reduce costs.
- Maintenance Choice All Access - All maintenance prescriptions must be filled through CVS retail pharmacies or CVS Caremark mail service. Maintenance Choice All Access offers you options and savings when filling your maintenance medications. Maintenance medications are used to treat chronic, long-term conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, and are taken on a regular, recurring basis. With Maintenance Choice All Access, you can fill your three-month supply of maintenance medications for only two copay's.
Please note that this information is to be used as a reference only; it is not an official statement of the benefits of Calvert County Government. The County is not bound to continue these benefits which are subject to change. The County benefits upon retirement may not be the same as stated above and are subject to change.